The Flemløse 1 Stone
   

MAINPAGE

FLEMLØSE 1

the runestone

General Info
Map of Runes
The Runes
FALSTER
Sønder_Kirkeby
FYN
Bregninge F
Glavendrup
Faaborg
Nørre Nærå
Rønninge
LOLLAND
Brenninge L
Skovlænge
Sædinge
Tillitse
Tirsted
Tågerup
ZEALAND
Alsted
Eggeslevmagle
Fjenneslev
Flemløse 1
Flemløse 2
Gørlev 1
Gørlev 2
Kallerup
Sandby 2 (+1)
Sandby 3
Sønderby

The stone was accordantly to the manuscript "Fynske Antiquiteter 1606" moved to Flemløse cemetery of the parish priest Thomas Nafnsen who was vicar of Flemøse 1553 to 1598 from a high "contrary to the  Lamme Moses (Lambs marsh) garden". The stone was later split and inserted into the cemetery wall, but remowed by king Frederik VII in 1842 and led to Frederiksgave, then later in 1854 to Jægerspris.

Found: Flemløse Kirke, Langgade 27, 5620 Glamsbjerg
Present location:
Jægerspris Slot, Slotsgården 20, 3630 Jægerspris

The stone is granite, 175 centimetres high, 86 centimetres wide and 56 centimetres thick. It was carved somewhere between 700 and 800.

The inscription: "Æft Rōulf stændR stæinn sāsi, es vas {nuRa} goði. Sattu syniR æftiR. ĀvæiRR fāði."
Translated: In memory of Hróðulfr stands this stone; he was {nuRa}-priest/chief. Sons placed in memory. Ávarr coloured.