The Tillitse Stone
   

MAINPAGE

TILLITSE

the runestone

General Info
Map of Runes
The Runes
FALSTER
Sønder_Kirkeby
FYN
Bregninge F
Glavendrup
Faaborg
Nørre Nærå
Rønninge
LOLLAND
Brenninge L
Skovlænge
Sædinge
Tillitse
Tirsted
Tågerup
ZEALAND
Alsted
Eggeslevmagle
Fjenneslev
Flemløse 1
Flemløse 2
Gørlev 1
Gørlev 2
Kallerup
Sandby 2 (+1)
Sandby 3
Snoldelev
Sønderby
Tryggevælde
Tårnborg
Vordingborg
JUTLAND
Öland, Sweden
ANCIENT STONES

This stone was found around 1627 in the churchyard wall of Tillitse Church. In the second half of the 1700s, it sat on the ground as cornerstone to the porch. It have actually been used for runes twice, and the runes are quite different. The second time, a cross was added too.

Found: Tillitse Kirkegård, Tillitse Kirkevej 1, 4983 Dannemare
Present location: Tillitse Kirkegård, Tillitse Kirkevej 1, 4983 Dannemare

The stone is granite, and it is 143 centimetres high, 81 centimetres wide and up to 43 centimetres thick. The carving took place around 1025 to 1075.

The inscription: The primary text (1,2,3,4,5+6): "Ǣskæll Sūlka sun lēt rēsa stēn þenna æft sialfan sik. Ē mun standa, með stēnn lifiR, vitrind (vitring) sū, eR vann Ǣskæll. Kristr hialpi siōl hans ok santa Mikael."
Secondary text  (7+8): "Tōki rīsti rūnaR æftiR [Þ]ōru, stiūpmōður sīna, kunu gōða."
Translated: The primary text (1,2,3,4,5+6) Áskell, Súlki's son, had this stone raised in memory of himself. Ever will stand, while the stone lives, this memento, which Áskell produced. May Christ and Saint Michael help his soul.
Second inscription (7+8) Tóki carved the runes in memory of Þóra, his stepmother, a good wife.